INCOME TAX AND FINANCIAL ADVOCACY SERVICE
BY APPOINTMENT ONLY. Please call (250) 352-6008 to book.
Seniors Coordinating Society offers an income tax preparation service to anyone who qualifies (see below). We also offer our services in the Slocan Valley and Kaslo. We have volunteers trained and qualified under the Canadian Volunteer Income Tax Program (CVITP) operated by the Canada Revenue Agency. We also offer a financial advocacy service for seniors struggling with government programs, applications, forms and similar issues.
To access the Income Tax or Financial Advocacy programs, you must first phone, visit or email our office and book an appointment. Sorry, no drop-ins. You will then bring all your tax forms to the appointment. We can also file prior year returns up to 5 years.
Who is eligible for our Income Tax Service?
Individuals must have a modest income and a simple tax situation to be eligible for the CVITP. Community organizations may also establish additional criteria.
To determine modest income, use the following chart.
Total Family income
|One person with one dependent||$35,000 (add $2,500 for each additional dependent)|
|Couple||$40,000 (add $2,500 for each dependent)|
Who is not eligible for our Income Tax Service?
Sorry, we cannot complete returns for individuals who:
- are self-employed or have employment expenses
- have business income and expenses (unless income is in box 048 on a T4A slip and less than $1,000 with no related expenses)
- have rental income and expenses
- have interest income over $1,000
- have capital gains or losses
- file for bankruptcy
- are completing a tax return for a deceased person
Our Financial Advocacy Program
We can assist with the following:
- Referrals to and information to seniors and disadvantaged adults (or just help you understand).
- Year-round assistance of income support, geared-in income programs and low income premium relief.
- Assistance with understanding, applying and dealing with:
- Old Age Security (OAS)
- Guaranteed Income Supplement (GIS)
- Canada Pension Plan (CPP)
- Rents Subsidy (SAFER)
- MSP Premium reduction
- …and other low income programs
We are so grateful to accept a generous donation for our Income Tax Program from the Nelson and District Credit Union! Many thanks to the members! From left to right: Charles Ward, income tax volunteer NDSCS, Marian Ritchie, income tax volunteer and manager NDSCS, Pegasis McGauley, Co-chair NDSCS, Tom Atkins, Credit Union manager, Christina Jones, Credit Union, Emily Kjelshus, Credit Union.